Wednesday, March 24, 2010

IT IS TIME

It is time. Time to go to the Social Security office and register. How can that be? Only old people draw Social Security. You know, the ones with no teeth, gray hair and walk with a cane?! Old people, not me.

Alas and forsooth, it is time. I was born in 1948. I am as old as Israel, the new one, not the original.

As far as Social Security, please, it's another government program that has been threatened with going bankrupt for as long as I can remember. It is a program that I had no choice to participate or not participate. I have been working a real job, meaning paid by the hour and taxes withheld, since I was 15. Babysitting since I was 10, making $.50 per hour, did not count.

I started working at a T G & Y store. It was brand new in Houston, Texas, a long time ago. I was one of the crew that was hired to open the store, starting with bare walls, windows, doors, only flooring and paint made it look like a room and not a storage locker.

We did everything, unloaded trucks, priced every item in the store, no bar codes or shelf labels back then, set up every display, put up shelving, used the glass dividers to keep product separate, we did it all.

What did I make per hour? $.90, yep, that's 90 cents. I thought I was in hog heaven, another Southern term, meaning, I had arrived. I even have some of my pay slips left. I should post them someday.

So, if you do the math, I have been paying into this system for close to 50 years. It's the same system that I am now being blamed for bankrupting and I have yet to draw out one dime or even $.90 for that matter.

The truth is, it is not me, but the generation ahead of me that has drawn out, wasted money because maybe their hobby was going to the Doc or they would meet friends there to socialize and see the doc while they were visiting with their friends. The greatest generation turned to the gimme generation. IMO. Not everyone, not every Social Security recipient but some. I have personally known these older folks that admitted paying in only a small portion compared to what they have drawn out.

I have one friend that is well into her 80s. She has never worked a job, never paid in a dime but is mad at the government because when her husband died, she now only gets his check, not hers and his. How does that make sense?

Oh, well, I'm up and out to the Social Security office. I hope I have all my ducks in a row. I'm waddling on my way, quack, quack.

---picture copied from free internet source
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: